Sunday, October 9, 2011

Book 84: Moon Called


I’m so glad that I finally got a chance to read a whole novel by Patricia Briggs. Moon Called is the first book in the Mercy Thompson series. This book has been a lot of fun. I love how this was both a werewolf story but took a couple different twists like having a main character who was a walker. It was very entertaining.

I’ve been wanting to read a whole Patricia Briggs books for a long time. But Amazon.com while phenomenal for book selections, sometimes it’s not very good at helping to point out the best book to start with especially if the author has dozen of books and a couple different series. That’s where friends come in. Thank you so much to the friend who included this book in a pile of books that she thought I should read.

I love the way this series started. There is a rich amount of back history especially between Mercy and Samuel. In some ways, it was like reading a series that already started but at the same time everything felt so good and real.

I have to admit, it’s cool that Mercy has a connection to the werewolves without being a werewolf herself. She’ s an insider without being an insider. It creates some fun ties where she could get away with things other pack members couldn’t but she wasn’t left out in the cold either.

Plus I liked the plot twists and the layers to the story. It was just an entertaining read since there wasn’t a dull moment and things all built upon each other. You had to remember who was who and the political connections within the packs, the pack hierarchy, the relationship between species, and the fact not all magical species were out in the open while others were. But everything built upon each other and created a fairly neat little ending (can’t tie up all loose ends, so the triangle of claims over Mercy was left ambiguous).

I plan to read the rest of the books in the series and I already put them on my Amazon wishlist of stuff since the holidays are on quickly on the way. I am glad this was a great little dip into the werewolf genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment