Monday, February 6, 2012

Book 13: Circus of the Damned


Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton was a book about a strong woman who could fight against monsters and be strong yet have a soft side to her. The book was incredibly fast paced but that also lead to some of the problems in my book.

I was introduced to Anita Blake (the heroine) in the graphic novels that I read earlier this year. After finding out that the Guilty Pleasures was adapted from a novel, I knew that I had to read the real Laurell K. Hamilton Vampire Hunter series. So when my sis gave me a giftcard to Barnes and Noble, I picked up one of the books in the series. The title struck me. I didn’t really want to read Guilty Pleasures again and so I picked out the book based on title (since the books there didn’t have an numbering to the series on the covers). Circus of the Damned seemed interesting since I knew that it was one of the vampire spots in Kansas City and seemed to be opened to a few different directions.  I was lucky, this was only the third book in the Anita Blake series. So I didn’t miss a lot.

It’s no wonder why this book was adapted into graphic novels. It’s fast moving, has strong characters and some good dialogue.  In a way the graphic novel was allowed Anita’s softer side to come out while at the same time being incredibly strong.

But in book form, there should have been better transitions between scenes.  In graphic form, the space allotment prevents some transitions. It’s all action, all the time. But when I’m reading prose, I want a lull or two to set up scenes and there wasn’t much of that in the book.   There were times I was rereading parts in order to see when a character showed up (sometimes with no luck).  Don’t get me wrong, I love action. In fact I’m glad this book had so much action to it. It’s a nick-picking thing about that balance.


I still plan to find more of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. I enjoyed Circus of the Damned. The book was action packed and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment