Monday, July 16, 2012

Book 52: The Lovely Bones


The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold was an surprising book. It was something that I read slowly but I enjoyed it. It wasn’t what I expected.

I got interested in The Lovely Bones due to the movie that was recently released. It seemed like a movie right up my alley: suspenseful, well-acted, deeper then you expect and a hot lead actor never hurts.  Never got around to seeing it, so who knows if my expectations were even met. But my interest was piqued and when a friend offered the book to me, I gladly took it.

I will say very quickly into reading the book, I wondered how the movie could be done well. It seemed like it would be a difficult book to fully translate and really get a narrator who was balancing between heaven and the world she lost without making it cheesy.  The book really tells the tale of a murdered victim seeing the people around her continue living and be affected by her death.

The thing that struck me the most was the characters. There were some deep characters in there and things that you don’t always expect. Like the boyfriend to Susie, he was Indian with an British accent. Not just a cookie cutter character. Plus you had Ruth who was a little darker then you thought she would be. Then the family who just fell apart in both the usual and unusual ways.

The plot could be a bit dry. It was the leading reason as to why I read the book slower then I would have liked. It was a slow moving book without a ton of action. It was more feeling and experiencing.

This isn’t a book I can easily pick apart. I enjoyed it. The book was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment