Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Book 53: Must Love Hellhounds

Must Love Hellhounds

Must Love Hellhounds was a disappointing read even though I did enjoy it. Part of it was probably the timing of the reading and some of it was the quality of short stories in the collection.

If you read my blog regularly, you know I love to read short story collections. Part of it is because usually the editing down the selections only has the cream of the crop and I can be expose to some new authors. This collection had only 4 stories. They were all more novellas.

Now there was one story that I just loved, “Angel’s Judgement”. This was a good story which had an unusual dynamic of angels, vampires, and vampire trackers. To see that hierarchy was neat. I would have never thought to add the angels to the whole world but to have them be overseers makes perfect sense.

The story by Charlaine Harris was okay. I will have to say I’m intrigued by the whole Britlingens thing and their world. But that environment was almost too big and too complicated to be in a novella. I loved how she randomly had Adonis and Amelia Earhart in hell’s jail but at the same time Amelia seemed to be far too innocent to be in jail for just stumbling upon a dimensional portal. But overall “Britlingens Go to Hell.”

The last two stories “Magic Mourns” and “Blind Spot” both had so much potential but didn’t live up to it. Especially in “Blind Spot” I wanted it to explain more. But they just weren’t a hundred percent on point.

As I said, part of the disliking the book could have been the timing of my reading. I’ve been more in the mood to read Star Trek books. That’s probably because I recently went to a Star Trek con and that always ignites the Trekkie in me. I’m one who believes if you are reading something against what your want to read, you are more prone to hate the book no matter how good it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment