Thursday, August 30, 2012

Book 63: Beg For Mercy

Beg For Mercy was a little bit of a departure for me. I haven’t read a thriller in a while. Jami Alden spun a web that at times was pretty predictable but it was still a good read.

Beg For Mercy circles around Megan Flynn who is fighting for her brother’s life. Sean Flynn was arrested for a murder and would be the first person to be executed by the state. Megan lost almost all her friends and good part of her reputation by never stop believing that her brother was innocent despite the overwhelming evidence saying that he was guilty. In her search, she reunites with her former boyfriend, Cole Williams.  Cole was investigating the Seattle Slasher murders which appears to be a serial killer attacking prostitutes with little or no past. When Dev (a child that Megan tries to help), their two cases start to collide.

The book wasn’t bad but it was a wee bit predictable.  I guess early on connection between Club One, Sean, and the slasher murders and even the fixation by the murder has for Megan. It definitely could pull you in and make you want to keep reading so that is always a good thing.

One of the things that did bug me was the lack of showing in most situations. Most things were told to the reader. Especially when it came to the characteristics of people. I would have preferred more showing. Explain why people don’t trust or like Megan due to her belief in her brother rather then tell me all the time.  Just like I would have liked to know more about the roles about the prostitutes that Stephanie hinted at before her demise.

I will have to say, this very much reminded me of the book that was being written by my friend Darla. It was the same formula and that bugged me in a way. I don’t want to read basically paint-by-number book. It’s boring. I would like to think and be challenge when I read something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment