Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book 6: Star Trek Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire



So I read another Star Trek book. This time I returned to the Typon Pact series. I read Star Trek Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire by David R George III. This book was great and a nice addition to the series but I would hardly call it a good fit for a Third Book in the series.

I have a habit of reading books that interest me or as they come available. Since I loved Star Trek Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game it made me get both this book and the first two books of the Destiny Series (I am waiting for the third book of Destiny). But I’m surprised that Rough Beasts of Empire was a third book in the series since it helped to explain the Typhon Pact so well. Why the Romulans joined (well both empires of the Romulans) and even their progress since the death of Shinzon.

This book was an interesting mix of characters (at least in my eyes): Spock and Captain Sisko. I just wouldn’t have thought to put those two characters together in a storyline but it actually worked. Like the other Typhon Pact book: it was a split narrative although the transfer between perspectives was more even and more closer to every other chapter. I never wondered what was happening to Spock or Sisko since it was at most two chapters of a single perspective. I would haven’t thought that Sisko and Spock could relate so well together even though Spock is my second favorite TOS character and I love the DS9.

One of the things I really liked was how the stories started to mirror the research and intelligence that happened in the story. There was a murder of an attempted assassin so there was an attempt to find out why the murder happened. Spock and his group of rebels (the Reunification Movement of Vulcan and Romulan Empire) were investigating the murder of the Reman since the Reman attempted to kill Spock and they wanted to insure that they wouldn’t be accused of the action. The Federation was curious by the event since it involved Spok and at the time there were two Romulan Empires (one that was in the pact and one that was not) so they were hoping the events wouldn’t unite the empires and bring everyone into the Typhon Pact.

Now there was one thing I didn’t like about Rough Beasts of Empire and that was some of Sisko’s actions. He was so distant and isolating at times. But it made sense in the realm of the Emisary accepting a Prophet’s prophecy since that was Ben’s MO. He thought he had to do those things and it was about the prophecy of ending the sorrows that the prophets promised him if he married Cassidy.

All in all a fun book. I loved all 383 pages. It was a good read that kept me inthralled. I’m glad I read it now. It’s helping me understand the history that has happened since I’ve things all out of order.

No comments:

Post a Comment