Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book one: My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me


My Mother, She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales edited by Kate Bernheimer was a neat collection of fairytales that have been played with. I wouldn’t call them new fairy tales since each fairy tale was truly inspired by another fairy tale. I’ve always been someone who loved fairy tales and taking a classic story and spinning it around so this book was right up my alley.

Most of the 542 pages, I just giggled and truly relished. I loved learning about some fairy tales that I wasn’t familiar with and seeing the inspiration to the different tales.

My favorite tale in the collection was probably “Snow-White and Rose-Red” or the “Erlking”. Both were some great tales that really just captured you in the moment and then released you. I really liked the Erlking since it was the perfect tale of caution and love.

I also loved the exposure I had to some tales I’ve never seen before. More then ever, I want to read tales from France, Russia and Italy.

But there were some stories at the end of the collection that I disliked immensely. They didn’t have the same care taken with the other stories. It was like they needed the two stories even though I just hated reading them. These two stories were: “Tales from Jalisco” and “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”. They really weren’t good stories. There was more times I was trying to figure out what was going on in the “Tales from Jalisco” while the “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” had way too much superfluous cursing to make me enjoy it at all.”

All in all a fun collection and I’m glad I got to read it.

This book was finished on January 10,2011

No comments:

Post a Comment