Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book Two: Star Trek Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game



Star Trek Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game by David Mack was the perfect book to start off the new year. While I wrote the book review for the fairy tale collection, I read this book first. It was a great fun book that got me back into some of the realms of Star Trek that I let go for a while.

I will admit the cover got me to pick up the book and get it. I tend to be kinda of skeptical of Star Trek books since they are either awesome or the stink. No inbetween but something told me to trust this one. Plus the idea of Bashir playing spy and Ezri Dax as a captain just had me sold. So I tried it out and I’m so glad I did.

I was surprised to read how much Dax seemed to grow into her own. She’s closer to Jadzia now but still Ezri at the core. I liked that balance. She needed that growth. But the character that had some great growth as well was Julian. He was someone who you could love but wanted to slap for being too smug. Instead in this book he was much more humble and you could love.

Plus the actual spy aspect was well done. It seemed to really include some solid spycraft without going into the realm of James Bond and crazy. Plus there was good defenses of the actions and how those actions could have some high costs to them.
But a great thing for David Mack and the book makers: this book not only got me to buy this one, it got me to buy another book in the series (and I have plans to get the other ones) AND to purchase the Destiny series (since that series seemed to set up a lot of the ideas and it was also written by David Mack).

This book is also interesting that I’ve seen my trek friends start to really talk and read this series. This is the first time in a while when multiple friends are all reading the same series although we are all at different spots but it seems to be really a series that is uniting some of fans which is nice as Star Trek goes into their 45th Anniversary.

Book Completed on January 1, 2011. A fun 336 page read.

No comments:

Post a Comment