Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Book 21: The Awakening.


So last night I finished my latest book: The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong. This book I highly enjoyed. Sometimes I just need some light occult books in my light and this definitely hit the spot for me.

This was the last of my Christmas goodies from a wonderful co-worker. Now my pile of books will be blander for a while since I only have a couple more conventional Kathy fiction left and a lot of biographies and a couple mangas.

I’ve had a lot of experience with reading Kelley Armstrong books. So I was looking forward to reading this book. For some reason I thought this book was somehow related to her Men and Women of the Underworld series. But the Awakening was actually part of the Darkest Power Series and book two at that. Thankfully, I don’t mind when I read out of order and Kelley Armstrong does a great job of getting you to speed without being too much of a recap.

The Awakening is a fun book where Chloe and her friends are running away from the Edison Group who are bent on using them as Guinea pigs. There is a neat mixture of occult monsters: necromancer (Chloe), shaman (Liz), werewolf (Derek), sorcerer (Simon) and witch (Tori). Well to be fair Liz is a Shaman and a ghost who only Chloe can speak too for the most part. Now Derek was a prototype werewolf and very similar to Clay (one of the werewolves in the Otherworld series) but at the same time, I really liked how Derek played off of Chloe.

Having the main character be a necromancer is interesting. She has problems of having her powers be out of control and there are times she’s raising the dead in her sleep and she can’t recognize who is alive and who is dead. I am looking forward to learning more about the amulet she wears and to see if at least helps her keep the

Plus I read the next chapter to the next book in the series (The Reckoning). Between the adventure of The Awakening and the two preview chapters, I really want to read the next book in the Darkest Power series. So just what I need, another book in the I want to buy pile. But a highly enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment