Sunday, August 7, 2011

Book 65: Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the OperaI was actually amazed by how much I fell in love with Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. I always loved the musical but at the same time I was never quite sure if I would fall in love with the book. There is a magic about the book that just sucks you in.

I’m surprised it took me this long to actually read Phantom of the Opera. The only thing I can think of is that I tried to read the book when I was way too young (4th grade or so) and the writing was too advance for me. Reading this book was amazing. It was great.

The thing that surprises me that the musicals and the movie versions leaves out how deep the mystery and the narrative is especially in comparison to the book. The book is a mystery and yet at the same time it has a research feel to it so you just have to believe in the tale he uncovered. In a way it’s like hearing a tale from one of your closest friends as they go through their notes. It’s completely compelling and conversational but at the same time, it goes deeper.

Plus it was surprising to see how the musicals changed some of the tale. At times book Christine seems so weak compared to the musical version. But it seemed more fitting with the perception of women from that era. And then the last book had the Persian’s narrative. It gave Raul a way inside of the Phantom’s mind and a way into the underground chambers.

It was great book. I’m glad I finally read it. Plus it was fun to talk about the love of the book with one of my online friends that has similar geeky tastes as me.

Hope you enjoyed the review. Please share and comment on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment