Monday, August 29, 2011

Book 72: Kitty's Greatest Hits

Kitty's Greatest Hits (Kitty Norville)Kitty’s Greatest His is the newest book in the Kitty Norville Series. It’s a collection of the stories Carrie Vaughn has written over the years related to the series. Admittedly I was unsure if I wanted to get this book since half the stories I read before. Yet the wealth of backstory and knowledge about the characters make the book thoroughly enjoyable

I legitimately read half of the stories before. But I knew there were two stories never published before and there were a couple stories that I just couldn’t find the particular magazine. So my interest was definitely piqued immediately. I knew I wanted this collection and when I needed another book for an Amazon order I was completing. And this book didn’t disappoint.

This book was backstory city and I loved it. There were only a couple books that were Kitty centered. Even then you got to learn more about her. But the tails I loved most was the ones about Rick and Cormac. But the TJ story was also really good. It was nice to get the side characters to really come out to the center and play. You get a more complete look into the world. The only story which I loved but was unsure about where to place it was when Rick was being studied by the government although I love how even Carrie Vaughn even said she wasn’t sure where to place it timewise and how Rick developed.

Midway through the book, I thought I had a complaint, there wasn’t a playlist like there was in all the other Kitty Books. Then I turned to the back of the book and started to thumb through the Author notes. Then I got to get her feedback on the stories and found my playlist. So I was glad to find the playlist. Plus the author notes were great. They not only talked about the stories and the creation of them. But they just had some great tidbits for the avid Kitty reader; like one of the main reasons TJ was gay originally was to avoid the complication of people wanting him and Kitty to hook up. But that simple move alone and his story, you see he’s not a gay character, he’s a character who happens to be gay. That’s an important and great distinction that so many writers fail to really nail down right.

I can’t pick out my favorite story. So many of them I loved. The spin on the Story of Daniel was great. It was so believable as to why Daniel was able to survive in the den of lions. You had great lends of history with stories that involved Catherine of Aragon (also my favorite of Henry’s VIII’s wives) and the start of Rick’s vampire life. Plus you get the zombie story. I can’t tell you how much I loved the fact that it was a Haitian Zombie story not the typical eat your brain zombie. Much creepier to lose control of your body and to be controlled by someone and be their slave with devastating affects on the body if you use most of the neurotoxins. And finally you get to know how Amelia and Cormac became one. Plus it felt like a couple of the stories were edited some in order to really hone in the story. What more could I ask for?

I loved Kitty’s Greatest Hits. It was fantastic. There were no complaints for this reader. Just a good book from my favorite active author.

No comments:

Post a Comment