Monday, August 1, 2011

Book 63: Blood Trinity

Blood Trinity: Book 1 in the Belador SeriesSo I’ve continued reading mostly my fluff books by reading Blood Trinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love. Overall I liked this book a lot. It was an enjoyable read.

Blood Trinity is the first book in the Belador Series. It was refreshing to actually pick up a book that really took the time to really set up a story. I’m not jumping in mid-stream to a series. Well not completely. The book kinda started midstream since it talked about Evalle’s struggle to figure out her place in the world of VIPER and the Beladors. But the real gist of the story goes on from the prologue which really sets up both Evalle’s closemindness and her friendship with Tzader and Quinn.

One of the nice touches in the book was the character Feenix. He was just fantastic. It’s just a fun little character. He didn’t have anything to really add to the story but show Evalle’s softer side and show a fun pet in the underworld. I definitely would want a pet gargoyle who happens to speak and eat lug nuts. I wonder why I haven’t seen that more in the genre. It reminded me of Bronx from Gargoyles (Yes I loved that old cartoon series). The rest of the characters were well done too but I just really loved the pet. Sometimes you are just drawn to the ugly cute side characters.

The other thing that I really liked was the idea of mixing up the Gods and having them play on the same team (more or less). Only in urban occult fiction, fantasy, and science fiction, do you see the attempts to explain the different gods from history and I like that. It draws me in. Mixing up Loki with Shiva and taking bits and pieces from multiple cultures is fun. Plus it’s done in a way where the cultural biases can have big consequences and even lead to the some major prejudices.

I’m not sure if I want to get the next book in the series but I really enjoyed it. It was such a good standalone book but I didn’t get enough pull me into the next leg of the story. I’m curious. But I would like a little bit more of a teaser.

No comments:

Post a Comment