Saturday, February 12, 2011

Book 11: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo



The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has been a really popular book lately. Seems like my friends and co-workers who aren't into Star Trek have all read or seen the movie (the Swedish version since the English one is still in production).

I will have to say Steig Larsson created an interesting story web about a journalist who is hired to look into the Vanger family. The Vanger family are of interest for two reasons: first they are a family that owns a bunch of enterprises in Sweden with a sordid history and more importantly to investigate the mystery behind Harriet Vanger's disappearance.

I totally understand why this novel is captivating the world. But there was a veil of interest for the first 400 pages, where I liked it but I wasn't gobbling the book up whole. It has a complex plot about a presumed murder with a lot of twists and turns. It's almost ironic that the main character point of view is from Mikael and not the girl with the dragon tattoo (Lizabeth).

The best part of the book for me after studying abroad was seeing the places I went to. It's fun to see some of the references for Uppsala and Stockholm and know exactly what he was referencing. It was really fun that way. That might have been part of the reason I wasn't fully hooked onto a good story. I was keep getting yanked from it thinking about my past time in Sweden.

But overall, I liked this 590page saga. It wasn't the best story for me but I can't wait to see the movies related to this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment