Thursday, February 3, 2011

Book 9: Star Trek Destiny Lost Souls


I finally got a chance to finish up the Star Trek Destiny series. The last book was Star Trek Destiny: Lost Souls by David Mack. Let me just say I loved it even though it wasn’t a huge surprise.

Truthfully there wasn’t any huge surprises in Lost Souls. The first two books set everything up so well. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t good. It’s like Black Swan and Titanic. Just because you know what is happening, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy every minute of it.

Now I got into a slight debate with my good friend about some of the character stuff. I thought the situation where Picard had a sit down with Riker was perfect. I thought Riker was the one person who could really talk some sense into Picard. Worf is too much of a good soldier who will support his captain no matter what, Dax had no stake, and the rest of the Enterprise crew didn’t have the standing, gull or his trust to really help him see the light. It had to be Riker. The timing was right too since he needed someone to say get over the borg right as they were taking one of the biggest gambles yet.

Now the ending made me want to see what happened next. I still don’t know the full in and outs of the Typhon Pact but I can see the framework of how alliances started to shape up.

One of the things that made me happiest about the whole Destiny series was how it finally explain question number two for me as a trek fan (question number one was the Klingon ridge thing but that was one of the few things masterfully done by Enterprise) . Question two that I always had was why the Borg were they human under the cybernetic stuff if they came from the Delta Quadrant? Humanoid, I always got but the human aspect especially in the early episodes threw me. So a huge thanks to David Mack for just going there and coming up with a really ingenious way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment